PURPOSE OF POSITION
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit,
charitable organization committed to strengthening community
through youth development, healthy living and social
responsibility. The Lifeguard creates a safe and positive
atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals while
promoting and maintain safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck
and surrounding areas in accordance with YMCA policies and
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
1. Maintains active surveillance of the pool area.
2. Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to
emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies,
procedures, and the "safe-in-six" model; completes related reports
3. Responds to challenges with possible solutions in a timely
4. Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules,
policies, and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
5. Remains calm and objective when under pressure or when
challenged by others.
6. Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the
state health department code.
7. Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment
is available as needed.
8. Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
9. Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and
takes appropriate action.
The YMCA Welcomes a Diverse Workforce
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
* Must be a certified lifeguard * Must be at least 16 years of
age * Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental
readiness * Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
* The physical demands described here are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. * While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended
periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and
phone/smart device. The employee frequently is required to sit and
reach, and must be able to move around the work environment. * The
employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. *
Endure extreme temperature conditions - up to 95 degrees, 100%
humidity * Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust. * The
noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.